Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ciro's First Day at Miss Moreno's

Ciro actually did very well yesterday.

When I entered the door at around 3:30pm, he was sitting on Miss Hazel's lap and playing with a toy car. He turned his head seeing me when I called his name. A little bit swollen and red were his eyes. The moment he saw me, he started to make the face of crying. I thought he was gonna burst out, but no! He stopped right there and didn't even make a sound. He then almost ignored my existence and continued playing. Was he hurt so badly? I couldn't help wondering.

But what followed indicated that he was not too bad at all. He played with the various toys and even showed me how he learned new tricks to open some jar lids on a toy. He also did his funny "eye" trick when I asked about the little toy car's eyes and his own.

Miss hazel told me that he cried when I left but stopped when they turned on the celing fan in the infant room. He then cried occasionally here and there. And they eventually found out that there were two spots in the big play room which Ciro likes. He would not cry around those two spots (one next to a rack of toy cars and another next to boxes of blocks) but would start weeping whenever taken away. He especially hated the kitchen. So they ended up feeding him in the play room also. He had a yogurt at 11am and some rice at lunch.

At nap time he was taken to the infant room. But he cried as soon as he was put down in his small crib. Miss Mareno had to hold him in front of his favorite spot in the play room (the one next to the blocks) until he finally fell asleep around 1pm. Transferred into the crib, he was waken up by the lights at 3pm with the other older kids. The moment he saw Miss Moreno entering the room, tears came out again. The cry stoppend after Miss Moreno changed him and gave him a fresh wipe and some lotion. Oh, he poo-pooed after his nap, too. :-)

He then had a little apple sauce for his afternoon snack and some cheerios (his familiar Quan1 Quan1) and had been staying in front of the 2nd favorite spot in the playroom (next to the rack of toy cars) ever since. And that was where I saw him when I went to pick him up.

He even waved bye-bye to the teachers when we left!

I sang all the way home to him and he enjoyed going home so much as expeceted. His rest of the day was cheerful. He was making all kinds of noises with a joyful tone until he had his regular 8:30pm night sleep. His appetite was not bad, either. Thinking that he didn't eat much at Miss Moreno's, I gave him a yogurt upon arriving hom. He was more than cooperative. Guessing that he might still be hungry, I offered him a chocolate cookie (Oops, should I?) and crackers afterwards, and he liked them both! He even asked more when he finished his bites. :-)) the 6:30pm dinner was OK if not perfect. He resisted as usually in the beginning but there were a couple of episodes that went quite smooth.

So there we go. Ciro had his first-day day care experience. He should earn big applause.

No comments: